We have been back to school for a while now. Picking up again in mid-July felt very strange to me, used as I am to back-to-school-September, but it did not, I think, feel strange to the girls since they're so young. I am hoping that a year-round schedule will allow us to be consistent in our learning and growing rhythms throughout the year, but also take more breaks. We took some time off in the last couple weeks during Brad and Kathy's visit; we'll take a week off in October; we'll take a jumbo holiday break.
The summer term was light but it was very good for Anya to not take three months off from math, spelling, and handwriting. An hour of schoolwork during nap time allowed us to keep up with the basics and still have lots of summer fun outside the rest of the day.
Now, with September, we restart the full schedule! Last week we began the Gentle + Classical primer (technically for Alina but really for all of our enjoyment), and science. This week we will add in history.
I will try to post at least just a picture of the Gentle + Classical board once a week, so those who want to can keep tabs on our topics.
Science this week: bacteria and single-celled organisms
History this week: Story of the World Volume 2, chapter 1; making Roman columns out of sugar cookie dough.
The picture frames look nice and orderly and to be honest that is not necessarily how the days play out—there is definitely chaos at times especially due to toddler antics but also older girl antics and silliness and distraction. However, there is still learning and fun going on in the midst of it and I enjoy seeing their eagerness to memorize poetry and read good and interesting books. Today there was much hilarity and even scream-laughing as we read about all the bacteria in and on our bodies.
I really like how homeschooling can integrate learning with everyday moments and regular conversation. It is not a set-apart “school time” but rather learning is just part of our daily life as we eat, work, and play together.
Comments
Post a Comment